Abstract submissions are now open! The deadline for abstract submissions is March 22 at 11:59 PM Central Time.
Scientific Paper or Paper on Demand (POD)Mar 22, 2021
One abstract (either paper/paper-on-demand or poster only) may be submitted by an ASRS member as the first author (presenting author). A non-member may not submit an abstract in this category.
The Program Committee will consider and evaluate all abstracts submitted in this category for presentation as a paper or paper-on-demand. The Program Committee will determine whether a selected abstract will be presented as a paper or paper-on-demand (or poster). You may indicate your preference for a "paper-on-demand only" if you do not wish to present at the podium. The Program Committee chooses submissions to be presented as papers on the basis of originality, clinical relevance, comprehensiveness, and as a stimulus for prepared discussion. Preference for podium presentation will be given to authors who will attend the meeting in-person.
DESCRIPTION OF POSSIBLE PLACEMENT FORMATS:
- Full-Length: Presenters in this category will be given 6 minutes during the scientific symposia to present their paper. The Program Committee will determine which submissions will be included in this category.
- Rapid-Fire: On grading, papers may be accepted as “rapid-fire”. Presenters in this category will be given 4 minutes during the scientific symposia to present their paper. This category allows presenters to highlight the key features of the work and motivate the audience to read the abstract. The Program Committee will determine which submissions will be included in this category.
8-minute Powerpoint or Keynote presentations with voice annotation offered to attendees, and later the entire ASRS, via various communication channels including the society's online portals as an "on-demand" feature. The presentation will not be done on the podium but rather will be continually available to be viewed and cited as a vitally important part of the educational effort of the Annual Meeting. Your complete presentation must be received in MP4 format by August 23. Presentations received in alternative formats will not be accepted.
See Detailed instructions for submitting a Scientific Paper or Paper on Demand (POD).
Scientific PosterMar 22, 2021
One abstract (either paper/paper-on-demand or poster only) may be submitted. A non-member may submit in this category as a first author as long as a member is a co-author. Note: Non-members should log onto their ASRS profile (first time users click "Create Your Account") to submit a poster abstract.
Top poster awards— Top 10 Best Poster Awards and "Most Eye-Catching" Poster Award—will be given at the Gala Dinner.
NOTE: In addition to your obligatory traditional poster to be displayed on-site at the meeting, you are required to submit a brief e-poster using PowerPoint or Keynote by August 30. These will be displayed on the mobile meeting site that is distributed to all attendees.
If the first author (or a co-author) cannot attend the poster session at the meeting, the e-poster will not be posted in the Annual Meeting archives that are available to all members.
See Detailed instructions for submitting a Scientific Poster.
Film FestivalMar 22, 2021
The 23rd Annual ASRS Film Festival will showcase the observational skills, innovation, and creativity within our ranks in a most entertaining venue. All ASRS members are invited to participate. Only 2D films are eligible for submission.
Each film will be judged based on overall appeal, clinical value, special effects, production quality, and entertainment. A panel of judges will rate and score each film. The coveted Rhett Buckler Award, an impressive 8-pound, 24-carat-gold-plated statuette, will be awarded to the top 10 films. The winners will be announced at the Gala Dinner.
A maximum of two films may be submitted by an ASRS member as the first author (presenting author). Film producers (first authors) or their co-authors are required to attend the Annual Meeting. Otherwise, the film must be withdrawn.
Nonmembers may not submit a film.
2D videos must be uploaded by July 30, 2021. Your submission will appear as "incomplete" until this is done.
See Detailed instructions for submitting a Film Festival entry.
All ASRS member physicians are invited to submit abstracts for the 39th Annual Meeting, a forum for retina specialists from around the world to share the most recent scientific concepts, techniques, and research.
- Members can submit a maximum of ONE abstract as first author; choose either paper/paper-on-demand OR poster only.
- Podium preference will be given to authors who will attend the meeting in-person versus remotely.
- Substitute paper/paper on demand presenters are NOT allowed. If the first author cannot attend the meeting, the presentation must be withdrawn.
Nonmember physicians may submit an abstract in the Scientific Poster category only. Click "Enter a Scientific Poster" in the menu above to begin the submission process. Note: Non-members should log onto their ASRS profile (first time users click "Create Your Account") to submit a poster abstract.
IMPORTANT: March 5, 2021 is the last day to apply for membership to be eligible to submit a paper abstract for the Annual Meeting. All required documents and references must be received by this date in order for your application to be considered complete.
The preferred abstract for podium presentation will have the following characteristics:
- Novel and clinically relevant research not previously presented at a major eye meeting
- Well-designed study with large number of cases, when indicated by the topic
- Sound statistical analysis, when indicated
- Conclusion accurately reflects results and takes into account study limitations
- Author will attend the meeting in-person (rather than remotely)
All abstracts are considered equally for selection; the quality of the abstract is the single most important factor in the Program Committee's decision. Please review our Abstract Submission Guide for guidelines and detailed instructions.
You may access your abstracts and check the status of your submission at any time.
The final Scientific Program will be determined in June 2021 and all presenting/first authors will be contacted at the email address supplied at the time of submission. It is the sole responsibility of the presenting/first author to contact the ASRS before the acceptance deadline on June 28, 2021 if you have not received email notification.
Educational Objectives and Purpose
The goal of the ASRS 39th Annual Meeting is to enhance the competence of vitreoretinal specialists to diagnose and treat vitreous and retinal disorders and diseases using the most advanced concepts and techniques available. The ASRS 39th Annual Meeting will provide a forum for rapid dissemination of the most recent scientific research results to the target audience in attendance. Its purpose is to allow the presentation of new and ongoing research data to assist practicing vitreoretinal specialists in maintaining knowledge and skills in their medical field.
Upon completion of the scientific sessions, participants shall be able to describe the findings, diagnosis, and treatment of various vitreoretinal disorders such as macular degeneration, choroidal neovascularization, diabetic retinopathy, venous occlusive disease, macular holes, epiretinal membranes, ocular inflammatory disease, tumors, proliferative vitreoretinopathy, retinopathy of prematurity, retinal degenerations, and retinal detachment.
CME Credit Statement
The American Society of Retina Specialists is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
Notifications and deadlines
March 5, 2021
- Last day to apply for membership (all references and documentation must be received on or before this date)
March 22, 2021
- Abstract deadline for papers/papers on demand, posters, and films
June 21, 2021
- Notifications sent out for papers/papers on demand, posters, and films
June 28, 2021
- Deadline to accept invitations to present papers, papers on demand, posters, and films
July 30, 2021
- Completed Film Festival video uploads
August 23, 2021
- Completed papers-on-demand
August 30, 2021
- Completed E-poster uploads
September 10, 2021
- Last date to become a member to register for the Annual Meeting
Vice President of Education