Advocacy & Practice Updates — Advocacy & Practice
Register for ICD-10 Testing Week: March 3-7
The deadline for practices to adopt the ICD-10-CM outpatient diagnostic coding set is October 1. ICD-10-CM has many more vitreoretinal diagnostic codes than ICD-9-CM, largely due to additional ICD-10-CM codes for specifying laterality and the type of diabetic retinopathy.
To help physicians and practice staff prepare for this transition, the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) will conduct a national testing week March 3-7 for current direct submitters (providers and clearinghouses).
This testing week will give practices access to Medicare Administrative Contractors (MACs) and the Common Electronic Data Interchange (CEDI) for testing with real-time help desk support.
Registration is required. Visit your MAC's website for registration information. You can locate your MAC in the CMS directory.
What to expect during testing:
- Test claims with ICD-10 codes must be submitted with current dates of service (ie, October 1, 2013 through March 3, 2014), since testing does not support future dated claims.
- All ICD-10 test files must be submitted with a “T” in the ISA15 Test/Production Indicator.
- Test claims will receive the 277CA or 999 acknowledgement as appropriate, to confirm that the claim was accepted or rejected in the system.
- Testing will not confirm claim payment or produce remittance advice.
- MACs and the CEDI will be staffed to handle increased call volume during this week.
Published February 2014