Winter Brunch Kicks Off 2016 WinR Events
While the East Coast was hit by historic Winter Storm Jonas, unseasonably mild temperatures greeted ASRS’s Women in Retina (WinR) for the January 28 Winter Brunch in Chicago. Manjot K. Gill, MD, and Rukhsana G. Mirza, MD, co-chaired the brunch, bringing together women retina specialists and fellows in training from across the country for a morning of conversation and networking.
Plan to attend these upcoming WinR events
- A lunch at the Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology (ARVO) Annual Meeting, May 1-5 in Seattle, where members will be given an opportunity to present research and gain experience at the podium
- A memorable WinR event at the ASRS 34th Annual Meeting in San Francisco, August 9-14, where members will present interesting cases with a forum for discussion
- A dinner for members and fellows in Chicago during the 16th Annual Advanced Vitreoretinal Techniques & Technology (AVTT) Symposium, August 26-28
- A mentoring event during the American Academy of Ophthalmology’s Retina Subspecialty Day, October 14-15 in Chicago
Shaw’s Crab House provided the perfect backdrop for an intimate gathering of WinR mentors from the Chicagoland area and the Midwest, in both academic and private practice, and fellows from training programs across the country, including:
- Bascom Palmer Eye Institute
- Jules Stein Eye Institute
- Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary
- Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine
- Rush Medical College
- University of California, Irvine School of Medicine
- University of Florida College of Medicine
- University of Illinois at Chicago College of Medicine
- University of Texas Southwestern Medical School
Front row: Ruchita D. Amin, MD; WinR Founding Board Member Pauline T. Merrill, MD; WinR Brunch Co-Chairs Manjot K. Gill, MD, and Rukhsana G. Mirza, MD; WinR Immediate Past Chair Alice T. Lyon, MD; ASRS Executive Vice President Jill Blim. Back row: Zimei Zhou, MD, PhD; Elizabeth R. Richter, MD, PhD; Christine Lin, MD, Ella H. Leung, MD; Marina Gilca, MD; Pooja G. Garg, MD; Komal M. Joshi, MD; Tahira Mathen, MD; Camille V. Palma, MD; Liliya Shevchenko, DO; WinR ASRS Staff Liaison Caroline Bozell.
While enjoying a delicious seafood brunch, WinR members conversed about life after training, choosing the right practice, managing surgical cases, and achieving work/family balance. A welcome address from WinR Chair Jennifer Lim, MD, was presented by Immediate Past Chair Alice Lyon, MD. Dr. Lyon and Founding Board Member Pauline Merrill, MD, were on hand to meet with fellows in training and share their insights.
The event was generously funded through grants from Genentech, Inc, and Regeneron Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
Dr. Gill – None.
Dr. Mirza – None.